Jeff Piampiano is a shareholder at Drummond Woodsum, and is a member of the Firm's Trial Services and Business Services Groups.
Since joining Drummond Woodsum in 2002, Jeff has represented numerous parties, including secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, and bankruptcy trustees, in commercial disputes before federal, state, and federal bankruptcy courts. In the bankruptcy context, Jeff has recently assisted clients both in the purchase and sale of assets out of bankruptcy estates, and in the successful reorganization of several New England-based businesses. For the two years prior to joining the firm, Jeff was a judicial clerk for the Honorable Rick T. Haselton of the Oregon Court of Appeals, from whom he gained valuable experience on issues relating to trial and appellate practice.
Beyond the courtroom, Jeff is a co-author, together with Benjamin Marcus, of a chapter discussing insolvency law in the U.S. in "Directors in the Twilight Zone II," published by the International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (2005). Jeff also participated in a panel presentation to the Maine State Bar Association entitled, "Advising Businesses Dealing with Financially Troubled Customers - How to Limit Exposure to Preference Liability under Section 547 of the Bankruptcy Code," is the author of a law review article, "Coastal Erosion and the Risk of Liability for Coastal Land Developers," published in 4(2) J. Small & Emerging Business Law, 347 (summer 2000), and in 2014 authored a chapter on Spoliation and Preservation of Evidence in the MCLE publication "A Practical Guide to Discovery and Depositions in Maine."
Jeff has been listed in the New England Super Lawyers directory as a “Rising Star” in the category of Business and Corporate Law. He is also listed in the Best Lawyers in America as well as Chambers & Partners’ USA Guide, an independent international guide to the top business lawyers in the U.S.. He was selected for inclusion based on his expertise in the categories of Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions and Bankruptcy Litigation. Also, since 2014, Jeff has served as a private panel Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee in the District of Maine.
Representative Clients and Matters
- Budge v. Town of Millinocket, 2011 WL 4054663 (Maine Sup. Ct.). Obtained summary judgment for the Town of Millinocket against claims by numerous retirees that the Town was contractually obligated to provide them with certain post-retirement insurance benefits.
- Growe v. Bedard, 2004 U.S. Dist. Lexis 23746 (D. Me. 2004). In a case in which our client, the Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee, brought claims for breach of fiduciary duty and waste of corporate assets against former directors and officers of Great Northern Paper, Inc. successfully defended against defendants' motion for summary judgment.
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College, J.D., 2000
- University of Maine, M.S., 1996
- Colgate University, A.B., 1993
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maine
- Turnaround Management Association
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Maine State Bar Association
- Cleaves Law Library Board of Directors (2002 - present)
- Best Lawyers USA
- Litigation – Bankruptcy (2013-2016)
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2012-2016)
- New England Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate, Rising Star (2008-2011)
- Chambers USA, Maine, Corporate/M&A: Bankruptcy
Thirty Attorneys from Drummond Woodsum are listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2016
August 17, 2015
Chambers USA 2015 Recognizes Sixteen Drummond Woodsum Attorneys as Notable Practitioners
May 19, 2015
TechPlace Start-Ups Get Much Needed Legal Advice from Drummond Woodsum
May 8, 2015
Drummond Woodsum Helps Negotiate Settlement To Benefit Creditors of the Bankrupt Great Northern Paper Company Mill
December 2, 2014
Chambers USA Recognizes Drummond Woodsum for the 10th Consecutive Year as a Top U.S. Firm
June 23, 2014
Drummond Woodsum Earns Maine Bar Pro Bono Award Fifth Year in a Row
January 15, 2014
Best Lawyers in America 2014 Highlights 29 Drummond Woodsum Attorneys
September 3, 2013
Update on Maine Residential Foreclosure Law
September 22, 2014
Recent Developments in Maine Residential Foreclosure Law
July 8, 2014
- Author, "Spoliation and Preservation of Evidence" A Practical Guide to Discovery and Depositions in Maine (MCLE 2014)
- Co-Author, "Directors in the Twilight Zone II," International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Professionals, chapter discussing corporate director liability in the Unites States (2nd edition 2005, 3rd edition 2009, 4th edition 2013)
- Author, "Retirement Benefits: What You Should Know," Maine Townsman Magazine, (December 2012)
- Author, "Coastal Erosion and the Risk of Liability for Coastal Land Developers," J. Small & Emerging Business Law, 347, 4(2) (2000)
The Ethical Duty of Investigation: Does It Reach into Social Media?
Panelist, 21st Annual Northeast Bankruptcy Conference, 9th Annual Northeast Consumer Forum, Stowe, VT, July 17-20, 2014
Advising Businesses Dealing with Financially Troubled Customers - How to Limit Exposure to Preference Liability under Section 547 of the Bankruptcy Code
Panelist, Maine State Bar Association, 2005