Bill Plouffe has 30 years of Maine land use, environmental and municipal law practice experience. Since joining Drummond Woodsum in 1984, he has represented commercial, private and municipal interests before federal and State natural resource agencies and has provided counsel to clients in permitting, enforcement and transactional contexts. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America in the categories of Land Use and Zoning Law, Land Use and Zoning Litigation, Municipal Litigation, and Municipal Law. Best Lawyers has also named Bill as Maine's 2013 "Lawyer of the Year" in the category of Municipal Litigation. Best Lawyers is a well-respected publication listing attorneys who have been selected by their peers as being among the top lawyers in the U.S. in their various fields.
Bill also serves as the town attorney for several Maine municipalities and has served as special counsel for towns and cities throughout the State. In addition to providing representation on zoning and land use enforcement, elections, finance, personnel and other issues often confronted by municipalities, he has also been involved in complex specialized areas of municipal law such as tax increment financing arrangements, multi-million dollar tax abatement requests litigated before the State Board of Property Tax Review and the courts, solid waste flow control ordinances, contract zoning, impact fee ordinances, human rights ordinances, development moratoria and large scale open space acquisitions.
- J.D., University of Connecticut School of Law (1974) (with honors)
- B.A., Holy Cross College (1969)
- Admitted in Maine
- Admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States and is one of very few Maine attorneys who have briefed and argued cases before that Court. Also admitted to the U.S. Court of Appeals (1st Circuit) and the U.S. District Court.
- Maine Bar Association
- Vice-Chair, Appalachian Trail Conservancy Board of Directors
- Member, Maine Task Force on Lead Poisoning Liability and Insurance (appointed by Governor Angus King)
- Member, Maine Municipal and Rural Electrification Cooperative Agency (appointed by Governor Joseph Brennan)
- Member, Commission to Examine Problems of Tort Litigation and Liability Insurance in Maine (appointed by Governor Joseph Brennan)
- Chair, Maine Environmental Health Advisory Committee
- Member, Environmental and Technical Advisory Committee of the Maine Alliance
- Chair, Town of Freeport Coastal Planning Commission
- Vice-Chair, Town of Freeport Coastal Waters Commission
- Secretary, Appalachian Trail Conservancy
- President, Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust
- President, Appalachian Mountain Club